Girdwood Fire and Rescue (GFD) is next accepting applications for new members for the October new member intake/GFD orientation by September 4th, 2018. Preference to Girdwood full-time residents and applicants with paramedic or advanced fire certifications.
Applications are available online (see link below) and are accepted by email only to email@example.com. Returning members who have been absent for over a year will be required to go through a refresher orientation.
When you join the Girdwood Fire department, you become part of a proud and honorable part of American culture: a Volunteer Firefighter. You will be joining one of the most challenging occupations available today. The risks and commitment level with fire suppression and EMS can be great, but the rewards can be equally high. Our volunteers are highly dedicated and come from all walks of life.
The following are the minimum requirements that applicants must meet to be considered for membership with the Girdwood Volunteer Fire and Rescue Incorporated and the Girdwood Fire Department.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain residence within the Municipality of Anchorage.
- Maintain a valid Alaska driver's license.
- Maintain a working phone or cell phone.
- Maintain a working e-mail.
- Submit a State of Alaska Background investigation dated within 30 days of the first hire date (at applicant's expense).
- Submit a driving record check dated within 30 days of the first hire date (at applicant's expense).
- Meet the Municipality of Anchorage Driving Conviction Guidelines (last sheet of the application packet).
Please file an application packet with us if you are interested!
You can download the application packet pdf here: Application Packet
Drop off completed applications in person at the station or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
It says GFD hires periodically, do you accept applications throughout the year?
- Yes we accept applications year round. If you meet the minimum requirements, you will be contacted when our hiring cycle begins.
Can members be just firefighters or just EMS providers?
- Yes, however we encourage everyone to participate in both.
Do I need prior EMS or Fire experience?
-No. While holding current EMT and/or Firefighter certifications is great, you do not need them to become a member of GFD.
Please allow up to 2 weeks for a reply and include a working phone number in your e-mail.