Care to join?
Are you interested in becoming a member of our department? In doing so, you'll be joining one of the most challenging occupations available today. The risks and commitment level with fire suppression and EMS are great, but the rewards can be equally high. Our volunteers are highly dedicated and come from all walks of life.
The following are the minimum requirements that applicants must meet to test and be a member with Girdwood Volunteer Fire and Rescue Incorporated and the Girdwood Fire Department.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain residence within the Municipality of Anchorage.
- Maintain a valid Alaska driver's license.
- Maintain a working phone or cell phone.
- Maintain a working e-mail.
- Have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Submit a State of Alaska Background investigation dated within 30 days of the first hire date (at applicant's expense).
- Submit a driving record check dated within 30 days of the first hire date (at applicant's expense).
- Meet the Municipality of Anchorage Driving Conviction Guidelines (last sheet of the application packet).
Here's how to get started:
The best way to get started is to come to a Tuesday night meeting and introduce yourself. We prepare dinner every Tuesday so show up around 6:30 to get some food before formal training starts at 7:00. We'll provide you with an application and an information packet. You must submit a completed application packet and meet the minimum requirements to be considered for a position. If you meet the minimum requirements for GVFD you will be invited to test. The testing consists of a Written Exam, Interview and a Physical Ability Test.
Please file an Application Packet with us if you are interested!
Regardless of previous experience, all new members must complete our Probationary Academy prior to going on any calls or working any shifts. The probationary academy is a large time commitment and all new probationary members must complete the entire academy to move forward into a probationary period.
You can download the information packet pdf here: Information Packet
You can download the application packet pdf here: Application Packet
It says GFD hires periodically, do you accept applications throughout the year?
- Yes we accept applications year round.
Can members be just firefighters or just EMS providers?
- Yes, however we encourage everyone to participate in both.
Confused yet? Got questions regarding volunteering? Got questions regarding your application? Contact us!
Send e-mails to:
Please allow up to 2 weeks for a reply and include a working phone number in your e-mail that the PTO can reach you by.