Did you dream of being a firefighter when you grew up?
Are you a local who wants to serve your community?
Are you fresh out of high school and interested in public service jobs?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, we want you. Absolutely no experience is required; just a desire to learn and serve your community.
When you join the Girdwood Fire department, you become part of a proud and honorable part of American culture: a Volunteer Firefighter. You will be joining one of the most challenging occupations available today. The risks and commitment level with fire suppression and EMS can be great, but the rewards can be equally high. Our volunteers are highly dedicated and come from all walks of life.
The following are the minimum requirements that applicants must meet to test and be a member with Girdwood Volunteer Fire and Rescue Incorporated and the Girdwood Fire Department.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Maintain residence within the Municipality of Anchorage.
- Maintain a valid Alaska driver's license.
- Maintain a working phone or cell phone.
- Maintain a working e-mail.
- Have a High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Submit a State of Alaska Background investigation dated within 30 days of the first hire date (at applicant's expense).
- Submit a driving record check dated within 30 days of the first hire date (at applicant's expense).
- Meet the Municipality of Anchorage Driving Conviction Guidelines (last sheet of the application packet).
Here's how to get started:
The best way to get started is to come to a Tuesday night meeting and introduce yourself. We prepare dinner every Tuesday so show up around 6:30 to get some food before formal training starts at 7:00. We'll provide you with an application and an information packet. You must submit a completed application packet and meet the minimum requirements to be considered for a position. If you meet the minimum requirements for GVFD you will be invited to test. The testing consists of a written exam, interview, and physical agility test.
Regardless of previous experience, all new members must complete our Probationary Academy prior to going on any calls or working any shifts. The probationary academy is a large time commitment and all new probationary members must complete the entire academy to move forward into a probationary period. This ensures that all new members are up to date with our specific department requirements, operations, and needs.
Please file an application packet with us if you are interested!
You can download the application packet pdf here: Application Packet
Drop off completed applications in person at the station or email to Secretary@girdwoodfire.com
It says GFD hires periodically, do you accept applications throughout the year?
- Yes we accept applications year round. Your application will stay on file until our next round of hiring. If you meet the minimum requirements, you will be contacted when our hiring cycle begins.
Can members be just firefighters or just EMS providers?
- Yes, however we encourage everyone to participate in both.
Additional Questions? Send e-mails to:
Please allow up to 2 weeks for a reply and include a working phone number in your e-mail that the PTO can reach you by.